Trademarks are any symbol, word, number, expression, color combination, or design that identifies the origin of a product and differentiates it from all other products of the same kind.
With a symbol, word, number, or even a combination of colors, you can capture your brand’s identity. This helps you stand out from the crowd. The Ministry of Commerce and Industry of the Government of India handles trademark registration.
If we choose any product around us, there are a number of companies and businesses producing it. Hence, all companies strive to differentiate their products from those of their competitors. This is done by using trademarks.
Do You Know What A Trademark Is?
A trademark can be any symbol, word, numeral, expression, a combination of colors with signs, or design that identifies a particular product and distinguishes it from others of the same type. Anyone can own a trademark, whether they are individuals or businesses. A trademark would allow a customer to immediately recognize the product (brand name) and its source.
Why Do We Need Trademarks?
The trademark fulfills the following two purposes:
- Recent months have seen a lot of fraud. Companies are selling their own products under another company’s name. Trademarks are one way for manufacturers to prevent unfair competition.
- The question “Who made the product?” is important. In addition to recognizing the product, a trademark also makes the manufacturer’s name readily apparent, which has a direct effect on sales.
When Filing A Trademark Application, What Should Be Considered?
- Please make sure that trademarks don’t become confused with patents or copyrights.
- For different types of intellectual property, there are different types of marks, each offering some type of protection. Our trademark can take one of three forms:
- Character mark for standard use
- Mark of sound
- Trademark registration is a complex process, which is why many people hire an attorney to help them. In addition to providing legal advice, a lawyer will help you manage all the steps necessary to register before the deadline.
- Our trademark must not be very similar to any pre-existing trademark of any other company in order to avoid confusion.
- When the data is filed, it becomes public and the filing fee is not refundable.
A Trademark Application Can Be Filed In The Following Ways:
After considering the points above, we can file the application. Trademark Electronic Application System (TEAS) is used to file the application. Either the TEAS plus form or the TEAS form must be completed. The TEAS plus form has a lower filing fee, but more stringent requirements than the basic TEAS form.
Track the status of your application using the trademark system and document retrieval (TSDR). To avoid missing any deadlines, it is important to check the status of the filing every three to four months after the initial filing. You can protect your brand and keep your uniqueness by registering your trademark.
Trademark Registration In The USA Has The Following Advantages:
The process of registering a trademark is simple. There are many benefits to registering a trademark. It is not necessary to register a trademark, but it is definitely a better option because of these advantages:
- Often, consumers purchase products based solely on their brand tags. If any company uses a trademark that is similar to ours, whether intentionally or unintentionally, there is a likelihood of confusion. With trademark registration, the company can be the exclusive rights of the trademark owner in India
- The trademark registration provides a company with nationwide protection, as it offers much-needed protection from infringement not only in your region but across all 50 states. It also allows a company to grow without fear.
- Companies filing their trademarks directly with each country’s trademark office can also use the US trademark registration as a springboard for international trademark protection.
- Investors prefer to buy a company with a registered trademark when you decide to sell your business. It is, therefore, more likely that your business will sell quickly. Your business will be more valuable if you have a registered trademark.
- Doing business online is the trend today. Online shoppers seek out brands they like. However, some duplicate products are available on the web as well. Thus, a trademark that is easily recognized by the customer will help the company stand out from the competition.
- As a result of the trademark registration, the company can also take legal action against other companies that copy their mark. Register your trademark to protect your brand’s uniqueness in the marketplace.
There are so many products available on the offline and online market nowadays that it is necessary for everyone to obtain a trademark registration and take advantage of the many benefits that come along with it.