Whenever an electronic document is sent over the Internet, a Digital Signature Certificate proves the sender’s identity. Many online operations require digital signatures, including electronic tax filings, the registration of companies and limited liability partnerships, the submission of annual returns, and electronic tenders.
Digital signatures are becoming increasingly popular around the world. Those countries that permit the use of digital signatures have a legal framework governing their use and acquisition. Even if you arrive from a different country, the acquisition process remains the same. There can only be one source of a genuine digital certificate, and that is a certifying organization.
The Certifying Authority, CA, is one of the types of Trust Service Providers, and is a third-party organization that is recognised and trusted by a country as an authority. Among its responsibilities is the provision of digital signatures to its users, which it has the authority to do. It is important for these CAs to adhere to a set of rules and regulations that govern their operations. A private limited company cannot be registered in India unless there is sufficient evidence that the applicant is the owner and resides in India.
Documents required for DSC Registration
To be able to request a Digital Signature Certificate for your company, you must submit the following specifications for getting digital signatures for your company as verification of the request
Identification and proof of residence
- Photocopy of passport or PAN card
- Scan of a voter identification card, passport, or driver’s license
- As an electronic backup, please provide the most recent bank statement, phone bill, energy bill, etc.
- Scanned passport-sized photo signature sample, i.e. blank document with directors’ signatures only.
Registrar’s proof of address
- A scanned copy of your most recent bank statement, phone bill, or energy bill
- The notarised English rental contract scanned
- A scanned copy of the certificate of no objection from the property owner
- In the case of owned properties, the English translation of the property deed is required
Remember that your registered office doesn’t have to be a business location; it can also be your home.
Digital Signatures: How to get them?
The first step is to sign up and choose your entity type
Go to the official website of a certification authority that issues Digital Certificates in India. Upon viewing the page, you will see a section titled “Digital Certification Services.” Now, under the ‘Digital Certification Services’ area, select the type of entity you need the DSC for: “person or organization.”
A new tab will open up displaying the DSC application form if the applicant wishes to obtain DSC on behalf of an organization. Please download the DSC registration form and fill it out.
Completing the relevant information is the second step
After downloading the form, you can start filling it out.
- The DSC class
- Authentication can be either Sign Only or Sign & Encryption
- Name and contact information of the applicant
- Address of residence
- GST Number and Proof Document ID
- Submission of a Declaration is required
- I.D. card
- A document proving residency
- Include the information of the Attestation Officer
- Last but not least, enter your payment information
After completing all the details, you must attach a recent photograph of yourself and sign the declaration. Complete the form and save it as a document once it has been filled out.
Step 3: Identification and Address proof
The documentation used to prove your identity and residence must be certified by an attesting officer. Verify that the attesting officer’s signature and seal can be seen on the proof documents.
Step 4: DSC fee payment
To cover the application fee for filing a DSC, obtain a demand draft or check payable to the local registration authority. Search engines can help you find a Certifying Authority authorised to provide Digital Certificates in your city.
Step 5: Upload the relevant documents
Place the following documents in a sealed envelope:
- The DSC Registration Form must be completed and signed properly; – the certified proofs of address and identity must be attached to the Registration Form
- Demand drafts or checks are accepted.
- To expedite the registration process, please include a stamped, self-addressed envelope and mail it to the Local Registration Authority.
Your Electronic Signatures Certificate application process is completed when you complete and submit the DSC Form along with all required documentation and payment.
Correction of digital signature errors
In order to make changes to a DSC, an organization must follow the steps outlined below.
- Log in with your username and password
- You can change your DSC details by selecting “Change DSC details”.
- All necessary information must be filled out on the DSC.
- There is the option of choosing a DSC that has been renewed or changed.
Digital signatures can assist you in securing and maintaining the integrity of your data as paperless online interactions become more widespread. You will be able to keep your information, papers, and transactions more secure if you understand and use digital signatures. A digital signature certificate will be convenient for people who transact online. For a business to be incorporated, a DSC is required. Therefore, ensure your DSC transactions are as efficient as possible.