In order to start or expand international trade, exporters need to register themselves with the Indian Government to prove their authenticity. In order to provide a genuine identity to these exporters, the Government of India established an organization called FIEO, abbreviated as Federation of Indian Export Organizations.
A trade association representing government-recognized exporting firms such as Export Houses, Star Export Houses, Trading Houses, etc. Besides promoting merchandise exports, the organization promotes services exports as well. For exporters in our country, FIEO Registration is a mandatory requirement in order to begin and continue international trading. In this article, we will examine the entire registration process for FIEO.
What is FIEO?
The Federation of Indian Export Organization, or FIEO, was established by the Ministry of Trade and Commerce in 1965 in collaboration with the Private Trade and Industry sector. In India, it is the apex body for commodity boards, export promotion councils, and export development authorities. FIEO serves as an interface between Indian international traders and the Central and State governments, financial institutions, railways, ports, and surface transportation. FIEO promotes international trade and assists entrepreneurs and exporters in foreign markets. Additionally, FIEO is an ISO 9001:2015-certified organization that provides high-quality services to its members.
What are The Programmes and Activities Performed by FIEO?
For the International Trading Community, FIEO acts as a closing partner.
- Resolves the grievances of exporters by taking them to the appropriate authorities.
- Provides exporters with an opportunity to discuss issues related to international trade with the FIEO experts and seek clarification on policy issues.
- The FIEO website has information about global trade promotion organizations as well as updated trade policies.
- FIEO organizes meetings with the highest authorities to discuss trade issues.
How to obtain the FIEO Membership?
FIEO’s membership rules are governed by the Foreign Trade Policy of the Government of India and the MOA and AOA. For exporters to avail of the benefits provided under the FIEO Membership, they must have the RCMC (Registration-cum-Membership Certificate).
What are the advantages of the Membership?
As a registered member of FIEO, exporters can take advantage of all the services, facilities, credentials, and global reach of the organization.
How can you apply for the Registration-cum-membership certificate?
A Registration-cum-Membership certificate certifies that an exporter dealing with a particular product is registered with an Indian government-authorized organization. Exporters who wish to obtain a Registration-cum-Membership Certificate (RCMC) must declare the main line of business in their application along with their addresses and other details. These details will be provided to the Export Promotion Council (EPC) and Commodity Board.
The following documents must be submitted with the application form:
- IEC (Import-Export Code) self-certified by D.G.F.T. (Directorate General of Foreign Trade).
- Certificate from a bank
- Exporters who wish to be registered as Manufacturer Exporters should submit a self-attested copy of their company’s registration with the relevant certification agencies
Procedure for Obtaining the RCMC
- Click on Register as a Member on the APEDA Website .
- The exporter must enter the necessary details, such as the IE code, email address, and mobile number.
- An OTP (One Time Password) will be sent to the email address and mobile number for verification purposes.
- In the online application form, the exporter must provide correct information.
- Online or offline registration fees can be submitted by the exporter.
- After the payment process has been completed, an application number will be generated.
- RCMC details are sent to the exporter’s registered email address after issuance.
- By clicking on Track Application, you can track the status of your (EXPORTER) RCMC application.
Issuing Authorities for RCMC are given below
- When the EPC cannot cover the import export, the RCMC can be obtained from the FIEO.
- Exporters of forest products are represented by SHEFEXIL (Shellac and Forest Products Export Promotion Council)
- Exporters of electronic and computer software (ESC)
- A total of 14 services listed in the Handbook of Procedures require registration with EPC, while the remaining services require registration with FIEO.
How can you apply for RCMC?
RCMAs can only be obtained by exporters who apply to the Export Promotion Council and declare their main line of business.
There are two conditions here:
- A RCMC can be obtained from the Financial Institutions Export Organization (FIEO) if the export product is not handled by the Export Promotion Council/Commodity Board.
- The exporter must obtain the RCMC from FIEO if they are not registered with the EPC (the mainline of their business is unsettled).
What is the Validity of RCMC?
From the 1st April of the licensing year, the RCMC is valid for five years.
Penalty under the RCM
A violation of the conditions of registration can result in the Export Promotion Council removing the exporter’s registration for a certain period of time.
An FIEO registration is essential for international trade and verification of authenticity, as we all know that identification is necessary for every service. The Federation of Indian Export Organisation is the apex trade promotion organization responsible for representing and assisting Indian exporters abroad.